Saturday 3 April 2010

And now for something completely different...

It's Easter bank holiday weekend, and that was my cue to get out and wet a line. JP and Allan expressed an interest in a session this weekend so after a little deliberation we decided to fish a local club run ticket water.

I suppose after a hard winters fishing with little results to show for our efforts, fishing a venue that would ensure fish on the bank was too hard to resist.

It didn't take long for me to realise why I don't normally fish these kind of waters, and that quieter less occupied rivers are more suited to my personality.

Quite frankly I don't like fishing near other people, and I was soon put to the test. The water that we were fishing has around 30 pegs, at the time there was around 25 vacant pegs available. (I'd had the hindsight to put a rod bag on the peg next to me 'The old my mates coming later on in the day trick') When I heard a voice say "Is someone on this peg mate?" I mean what the hell is wrong with these people? Why do they insist on coming and plonking themselves next to me? I sound like a right old curmudgeon, but I guess I don't like feeling of being penned in when I'm fishing.

And So to the fishing, I fished with a maggot feeder on the tip. I was soon in to my first fish of the day and it was good to see a bit of a bend in the rod, a Bream of around 2 pounds was the culprit. I had a lot of bites during the day and landed around a dozen fish and perhaps 15lb of fish, a mixed bag of Bream, Roach, and Tench, and a surprise catch of a Golden Orfe.

Despite my early fears of hating the place I actually had a good day, I may even head back there in the next week or two.

First Tench of the year

Golden OrfeAllan's catch of the day