Monday 23 June 2008

A great session goes tits up!

Nice Tench at 4lb 10zMacro shot of Tench's eye

Nice Roach from the match stretch
I met Beef at the Match section of the sluice at 7.00am. Coarse fishing was the order of the day. I fished my Tip rod on the maggot feeder. It wasn't too long until I was into my first fish. A decent sized Roach, I didn't weigh it but did take a picture. A much smaller Roach soon followed, then I played and landed a cracking Tench of 4lb 1oz. It was in cracking condition, and has probably never been caught before. There is such a difference between the Tench you catch on the Sluice than on Hurlston Hall, the Sluice Tench fight much harder for one. I also had a Hybrid of around half a pound. Then it happened It came! And it covered the whole area in which myself and Beef were fishing. Like a carpet of green, it took over the whole match length. DUCK WEED! It was like someone turned off the fishing. It was game over, we couldn't buy a bite. We made the decision to pack up and move to a different drain.( F.A.O Gary and Julie Shhhhhhhhh! ;-) The drain that we moved to didn't fish well at all. In fact in the whole time I was there I had one Roach, and that was about 1oz. I think Beef had about 3 bites all day. All other anglers struggled, in fact many blanked. Beef pointed out to me that he's not caught a fish since we last visited Rosemary Wood fishery on the 15Th of May. A frightening statistic. Ben came for the last hour or so to try out his new lure rod. He didn't manage to winkle anything out though. On the whole today was pretty disappointing, as I'm convinced the match length was going to fish well today.