Saturday 21 February 2009

Another Hawg slips into the net

Another Pike league session today, myself and Ben made our way to the Sluice, we decided to fish a section we have often spoken about but never fished before. We were rods in by around 8.30ish. Ben tested out his new stove, which cooked the sausages very nicely :-) much needed bank side fodder. I was just discussing changing tactics from ledgering to a suspended dead bait when I saw my near float start to bob, I was in! A Pike had taken a fancy to one of my Joey mackerel's, the float was well away and I struck into a lump, at first though the fish didn't seem too big, but when it stayed deep and wasn't in a rush to show itself I suspected I was on to another decent fish. When I saw her in the net I realised that I had caught another cracker. The scales showed 16lb 2oz, this shattered my previous PB for the Sluice by around 4lb, interestingly my 2 biggest fish off the Southport drains were caught within 3 days of each other. This was to be the only action myself and Ben had all day, much to Ben's annoyance he blanked, and what makes my catch all the sweeter is that I caught it on a bait that I'd borrowed from him. Muwahhhahahah! :-)

Another Cracker at 16lb 2oz