Monday 6 July 2009

Time to give old Esox a well earned rest

Following on from the recent pollution on the Three Pools, I have decided to hang up my Pike rods until the beginning of September. The decision behind this is simple, I am well aware of the prolonged recovery rate of Pike when fished for in the summer months, and survival after capture can be a bit hit and miss, this is because the oxygen levels in the water are rather depleted , though Summer Pike have a lot more energy and can provide some fabulous sport. I may add that all Pike that I have caught this summer have swam away with much vigour. So then I will turn my attentions to Tench and tip fishing over the coming weeks, with the odd Carp session thrown in for good measure. I fished on the Sluice today, I targeted Tench on ledgered sweetcorn (Blanked!) and I also fished my tip rod with maggot on a size 18 hook to 3lb main line. I had quite a few fish Perch, Roach and Skimmers were queuing up, no Tench or Bream were showing.