Tuesday 27 January 2009

Weather Man Lies Again,and my first Pike of the year

According to the BBC weather report. Weather wise today would be a nothing day. Their point was that it would be calm, no wind, no rain, no sun, just a dull overcast day. That would do me just fine. So I headed off to the Sluice and made good of the conditions. However...... After around an hour or so the nothing day, turned into heavy rain and gusting winds. Now what's all that about? Luckily I had my stealth brolly in the van, so I set up shelter, and from that point I was rather cosy. After a few hours of my brolly being battered by the wind, my thoughts turned to packing up. But I had another thought mulling through my mind. I started thinking about the other times I have fished in similar conditions that I was experiencing, and I remembered that I always seem to catch when it starts to blow a hooligan and chuck it down. I was to be proven right, at around mid-day and seemingly against all the odds, my float was under and away. Finally I was in! My first Pike of the year was on the bank, photographed, and back in the water within minutes. (Not a bad self take photo I may add) I didn't weigh it but she was around 9lb. I stayed until around 4 o'clock but there wasn't any more action.

First but defintely not the last of the year