Monday, 21 February 2011

Some fishing!

I've fished a few times over the last week, I thought it was about time I blogged about it.

Last week I had my first pole session of the year on the Canal. I was please with the results. I caught around 20 Roach during my shortish session. I also landed a couple of Pike, neither of which I could be bothered to take the camera out for.


It was time for me to give the drains another bash. A phone call to Panto the night before had inspired me to get back on the Sluice. The River fishing season is nearing it's end, time to cram a few sessions in.

I decided to fish one swim and stay there for the duration. I had five runs and landed three Pike in total. The biggest Pike being around 8lb's or so. Not a bad session albeit a short one.


Back to the drains, and foolishly I decided to fish the same peg as the day before. The result? A painful blank. Panto fared a little better by landing the only fish of the day, a Pike of between 7 and 8lb's


An early start and a new venue for myself and Panto. I dusted the tip fishing gear down and tried my luck at catching a few silvers. I had a few bites but only landed one Roach for my troubles. As for the Pike both myself and Panto were left wanting. A tough and bitterly cold day with little to show for it. I think we will head back there in a few weeks when the weather has warmed up a little. It's a long way to go for a one ounce Roach.

The comfort zone... When out fishing a new venue I often touch upon the subject of the 'Comfort Zone' by this I mean that it can be a bit of a wretch trying unknown waters especially if the fishing is slow. If I'd fished one of my regular waters today I'd have probably caught. The attraction of catching an upper 20 though is certainly an incentive to try my luck on a different venue.


Back to the drains. The conditions were far from perfect. The water was chocolate brown and pumping a little too fast for my liking. I was here now though so I decided to fish it anyway.

A changed tactic today, I opted for the leap frogging technique. I figured that if I was to stand any chance of catching I'd probably have to drop a bait on a Pikes nose. After around 5 hours of fishing and 200 yards of moving swims I did just that. Finally one of my Pike bungs slipped under and I was in! A good fighting fish of around 9 and a half pounds made all my efforts worth while. I was optimistic of another take, but it didn't come. I was treated to a passing visitor whilst on the bank today, a Barn Owl came within a few feet of where I was fishing. It's a regular caller to this area, but this is as close as it's ever got to me. I just about managed to grab a couple of photo's of the occasion.

Friday's Pike

Panto's fish of the day
When the fishing's slow...

Don't ask!

Monday's Pike

A passing Barn Owl