Saturday 18 April 2009

Two days fishing on Twin Lakes Croston

Friday: I fancied a change of scenery today, so I thought I'd have a bash at Twin Lakes in Croston, I haven't been there since last summer, this venue is still on the SDAA ticket, so I had nothing to lose. I opted for my tip rod and fancied catching some of the larger residents of the lake so I used a size 10 hook baited with Worm, The bites were constant but I was constantly being bothered by small fish. I did though catch a decent amount of Skimmer Bream.

Saturday: Another session on Twin Lakes, once again I fished on the tip. I started off on Worm, and managed to tempt a decent sized Bream of around 3 and a half pounds, although if I'm completely honest, it was caught while I was changing bait and I'd left my old bait dangling over the side. The bait must have been laid on the bottom and was in the right place at the right time, my rod nearly ended up in the lake as the clutch was set tight. Phew! Close one! By dinnertime I'd caught a good head of fish, however each and every single fish was a Skimmer. So I decided to scale things down, I changed to a size 16 hook and fished on single maggot, if it was Skimmers that were feeding, it was Skimmers that I'd catch. I caught a lot of them too, pity that there is a keep net ban on the lake until June 16th.

View across the North lake

The accidental catch
One of the day's typical customers